As our community strives to respond to COVID-19 and its impact, all of us at Public Education Partners are reminded of how critically important public schools are to our civic life.
Thank you to Greenville County Schools leadership, administrators, teachers, and staff for their tireless work over the last few weeks and in the days to come as we navigate this moment. We are proud to stand with you and other community organizations as a partner.
Please see below for a current and updated listing of relevant policy and legislation updates, as well as resources for teachers and parents.
K-12 POLICY UPDATES
PEP’s policy and advocacy team are tracking local, state, and federal policy responses to the COVID-19 crisis. You can access the team’s running updates here.
- Governor McMaster has ordered all schools to remain closed through April 30, 2020. You can access the Governor’s executive orders here.
- Most spring 2020 testing has been cancelled, including the SC READY and SCPASS exams.
- The South Carolina General Assembly is currently out of session amid COVID-19 concerns. The 2020 – 21 state budget passed by the House in March will require significant adjustment in the Senate due to the pandemic’s impact on the state.
- The federal CARES Act was signed into law on Friday, March 27th. $13.5 billion of the $2.2 trillion stimulus is earmarked for K-12 schools.
RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS
- Social and Emotional Learning support during the COVID-19 outbreak, including how to talk with children about the crisis
- We Are Teachers: The Big List of Children’s Authors Doing Online Read Alouds
- Self-care for SC educators
- We are Teachers HELPLINE Group
- Here’s What I Want My Students to Know When We’re Not Together
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
- Greenville County Schools eLearning support
- Help sorting through online resources from The 74
- Nightly read-alouds and companion guides from local children’s book authors Philip and Erin Ulrich
- Child-centered family activities while eLearning from home
- Learn at Home from Scholastic
- 30+ virtual field trips
- The Big List of Children’s Authors Doing Online Read Alouds
- Free audio books from Amazon’s Audible Library
- Reach Out and Read’s At-Home resources for families and students
- Storyline Online – streaming video read alouds by actors
The United Way of Greenville County is coordinating COVID-19 response efforts in partnership with Greenville County Schools and other area nonprofits. Learn more here.
- Greenville County Schools daily feeding sites
- Map of GCS feeding and Wi+Fi sites
- Eat Smart Move More SC food insecurity landing page
- SC DHEC COVID-19 resources
- NYTimes COVID-19 map
- Post & Courier COVID-19 coverage
- 11 things everyone should know about COVID-19
- COVID-19 and racial equity